What are the top three skills desired by corporate recruiters, and why are they found in musicians? When should musicians consider a day job in the business world?
Christopher was incredibly successful in the music & entertainment industry before he pivoted to the world of banking. We could feature an entire episode on his music accomplishments. He was invited by Henry Mancini to LA after winning his Scholarship for Film Composition. That led to his success composing for popular TV shows; an Emmy nomination. He was the first American composer in Vatican history to be commissioned twiceby John Paul II. And those are just a few highlights from his pre-banking music days. Christopher tells us what led him to get involved in the banking world after that.
What are core creative skills and soft skills? What is their relationship to being a musician? What is their value in today’s workplace?
Christopher’s Top Five soft skills:
- Communication (including the sub-skills Active listening, Confidence, Conflict Resolution, and Organization)
- Work ethic
According to Christopher’s research, three of recruiters’ top desired qualities in candidates are highly developed in musicians:
- Organization (including attention to detail and time management)
- Conflict management
Christopher aims to motivate and inspire musicians to re-value their musical education, especially those facing the top four pain points he feels are facing musicians today:
- Lack of jobs
- The anxiety of student debt
- The concern about the relevance of technology learned in school
- Achieving work-life balance
2t’s website says: “DISCOVER how to use your skills and that you learned in your music education and why they are so valued by the business world!”
- How does music training create the skills needed in today’s business world?
- How do musician skills transfer to the business world?
- Christopher has said that the MFA is the new MBA; the MFA is the new hot thing for corporate recruiters; and MBAs are the next blue-collar workers. He explains this perspective.
- What are the reasons musicians enter the business world?
- How do I navigate the world and pay for my core costs AND utilize my creative skills?
- Should musicians consider a day job in the business world and, if so, how can they find a job that aligns well with their creative goals and skills?
- Recommendations for those who are in the music world and contemplating a switch to business.